Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Small Plates and Small Parties

Why dinner parties are awesome and not at all stuffy and lame.

When I moved from dorms to an actual apartment, I discovered that I quite like cooking. I gathered old, rejected cookbooks that belonged to my mother and started my process of learning how to really cook - mostly by opening the book to a random page and making whatever I landed on. Through this process I discovered a few things.

First, lemon is my nemesis. Second, I should not be allowed to use a broiler. Third, cooking is made even more enjoyable by doing it for other people. I'd create chocolate souffles, and strawberry cheesecakes, oreos, and all manner of delightful snacks and pawn them off to the people at work.

I then moved on to food themed parties. Pi Day was my most successful, followed closely by an evening of Mexican Food and Sherlock Holmes. Why Mexican? British food is kind of nasty. Call me biased, but mistaking blood pudding for chocolate p
udding (served at breakfast, no less) when I was in England tainted my opinion forever. Getting a mouthful of congealed blood when my tastebuds were expecting the heaven that is chocolate pudding ranks near the top of my worst food moments list.

When I was back in Idaho for that fabulous research rotation, I discovered that my mother had found these two books.



They're freaking fantastic, and I order you to all go out and purchase them immediately. You can do so here and here.

Armed with these, I have embarked on a dinner party frenzy. The book Small Parties has meal plans for themed parties. Small Plates is a collection of individual dishes I pick and choose from to form the greatest menus imaginable. Every recipe I've made out of these books has been unbelievably delicious.

Chicken Piccata Brochettes, Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes, Prosciutto and Cheese Turnovers - the list is endless. And, now that I have a group of friends in Reno, I've got a ready made set of people to dinner party it up with.

It's fantastic.

I unfortunately have a tendency to not consider taking pictures of my culinary masterpieces until they've already been devoured, and the few I managed to snap during the last dinner party (which was mostly desserts) didn't save to my camera. So I don't have photographic proof of the wonders of dinner parties.

I am, however, planning another one to take place very soon. Expect a blog of nothing but pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Pictures or it didn't happen! lol It's hard taking pictures of great food before you eat it. I've run into this a few times. I've made cheddar bay biscuits 3 times and STILL haven't gotten a pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound utterly fabulous. I'm trying to scrounge up pictures now, but it's taking a while. I'm determined to take some next time!

      Delete