Monday, August 8, 2011

Crafty Update

This has been the summer of craftiness for me. I've had a lot of unaccustomed free time, and when I'm not reading outside I'm working on something indoors. The first thing I wanted to do was get something up on the bare, soulless white walls of our apartment.

Then I stumbled on this.

It seemed an easy enough project, so with judicious application of some birthday money, I obtained the supplies. On this expedition, I also found these. For only $1 each.


I may have felt like a horrible person when I ripped the first one apart. I've never destroyed a book before and it was a very traumatic experience for me. After I recovered from the shock of ruining literature, I followed the guide and came out with a fairly satisfactory product.

Yes, I shamelessly copied the design of the example. I have no art skills.

They're now hanging above the mantle. I'm planning on making another, across three canvases, with a giant octopus attacking a boat. I'm not sure how well this will turn out.

That was the most successful of my crafty endeavors.

Next we have the cross stitch from hell. Remember this? From a year ago? Yeaaah. Still not done. I've made progress though!


The doom sweater has been knitted and now needs to be put together. It's currently lurking in the depths of my knitting bag - I haven't had the courage to confront it.

And now we come to what is currently the bane of my existence. My mother gave me her old sewing machine last year, and after making an eight foot squid pillow and a disastrous attempt at a shirt, I put it away and refused to think about it.

Until now, when I have tons of free time and nothing to do with it.

I'm trying to make a dress. This dress. And, like the cursed shirt, the pattern claims to be easy. It's not. It's ridiculous. (Or, more likely, I haven't the faintest idea what I'm doing and am blundering along in the dark).

This is a week's worth of work.

I've become intimate friends with my seam ripper.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is going to look awful when it's finished, but even if that's the case I am going to wear the hell out of this dress.

I'm not stumbling, lost in this dank forest of confusing instructions and mindless re-sewing for nothing.

Why do the people on Project Runway make this look so easy?

3 comments:

  1. You're amusing.

    And you ripped up the Divine Comedy? That's why you go buy old law books or something from a used book store. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got it at a used bookstore for $1, and thought it'd be cool to have the cantos and stuff on the canvas. I've got two copies of it already :P. It was just painful to ruin a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry. Destroying books gets much easier with time.

    ReplyDelete