Monday, April 12, 2010

Craftyish

For nearly as long as I can remember, I've watched my mother at her various crafts. She used to make most of our clothing and has always ardently quilted, knitted, cross stitch-ed and just about anything else involving needle and cloth. I tried my hand at imitating her, but I can't muster up the focus to do such minute work, nor do I have the patience to create something with that level of repetitive work. That said, I've occasionally tried cross stitch. My first experience was mildly horrific - I did a simple sampler and ended up moving a little house seven times. SEVEN.

It didn't help that this was before we realized I needed glasses.

That ordeal turned me off the whole process for a good while, but when I found a pattern covered in sea creatures and boats I decided I'd give it another shot.



This is what it will look like when finished. If that's at all possible.



I start with burgeoning optimism. A few hours in, I have nearly completed a sail. Such a worthy project, so helpful in keeping my hands busy! Surely this will be enjoyable all the way through.



Two hours later. Despair is setting in at how ridiculously long this takes.


I succumb to vice.


Finally I give up and die alone, to be eaten by dogs.




Stupid cross stitch.

- SqueezeBox

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were eaten by dogs after death. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were alone, who took the picture? One of the other gifted dogs documenting the event?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom cross-stitched christmas stockings for me and my younger siblings. They say our names atop christmasey images... santa, teddy bears, etc. I have three younger brothers and sisters. My mother is still working on my youngest sister, Ellen's; she just turned thirteen.

    -Chris Dennis

    ReplyDelete