Friday, October 23, 2009

It's About Time

I have here, for your listening enjoyment, the first recording of me playing the accordion. I did have a video, but my internet connection is currently the butt of a terrible joke and thus cannot handle the 30 second webcam vid. Typical. Everyone should laud much praise upon my friend Cody for fixing the video into a workable format for me. He's amazing.

The song is Du, Du Liegst Mir Im Herzen, which I'm assuming means something about love in German. According to my lovely book, it's a German folk song. My phrasing is less than perfect and there are a few mistakes in here, but this was probably close to the thirtieth attempt at recording it and my patience was wearing thin . . .



I'm hoping to post a video each week, to both force myself to practice and to see if I'm actually improving. I do feel rather awkward as there's not much in the way of volume control on accordions and this apartment complex has walls that are best politely described as 'thin'. There haven't yet been any angry stompings or agitated people trying to bash my door down, so I'm going to keep assuming my fellow apartmentians are connoisseurs of fine accordion music.

Hey, it's possible.


In other news, pharmacy fair was yesterday and today. It went off well, and I'm excited to chair the committee for next year. I had two interviews today, one with Shopko and the other with CVS. They were marginally awkward as I've got a job I adore and am not really looking for a summer internship, but the interviewers were polite and I made some decent contacts.

Swag from the pharmacy fair was also awesome this year. Shopko was giving out their brochures on 2 gig flash drives, and entering all of us in for a laptop drawing. Big Box Retail, my opinion of you is shifting slightly upward. The rest of it was the standard pens, first aid kits, and the like, but I did manage to snag an epic post-it organizer and five decks of cards - the Walgreens reps kept dumping stuff in my bag as I walked by.

Albertson's took us all out to one of the local bars last night to relax and interact with the recruiters in an informal setting. I enjoyed a gin & tonic, vodka cranberry, and a lemon drop, then stuck with water for the rest of the evening (in the interest of self-preservation).

It was great fun until some random bar-goer decided I was grade-A meat and needed to be picked up. Let me paint a picture of this positively delightful example of why I need to get the hell out of SE Idaho: long greasy hair, scruffy beard, filthy jeans, a grey sweater, and a mardi gras necklace. Yes. In October. Somehow I doubt he was celebrating Fat Tuesday. This less-than-appealing example of masculinity came sauntering over and put his hand in my drink.

Slimeball: Heeeeey, what're you drinking? (as his filthy hands violate the sanctity of my delicious hangover-preventing H2O)
Me: Water . . . (as I stare in abject horror at the dirt now floating in my once pure refreshing beverage)
Sleazy McJerkFace: Hey, that won't get you drunk, let me buy you a beer! (while removing his grimy hands from the plastic cup now holding only despair and broken dreams)
Me: (more abject horror)
Wonderful Fellow Female Students: Objection! Interception! Rejection!

I am eternally grateful to them for getting rid of the water defiler, and for getting me a new cup. The rest of the evening was fun, until Phil decided he hadn't had enough and spilled beer all over my nice boots.

Conclusion: I need to find out some way to make myself completely unattractive so I can go to the bar and enjoy drinks with friends without needing to bathe in lye afterward.

Also, accordions are awesome.

- SqueezeBox

1 comment:

  1. It means "You, you're in my heart". I like your blog. No need to make yourself unattractive, not all men are like that (too many perhaps though...). Greetings from Holland, AurelioZen.

    So you're 21 now....

    ReplyDelete