Friday, October 9, 2009

Intro

I'm a 21 year-old second year pharmacy student who is learning to play the accordion - hence the blog name. I actually enjoy studying, medicinal chemistry in particular. I'm hoping to specialize in infectious disease and obtain a PhD in Pharmacology when I'm finished with pharmacy school. I've been kicking this blog idea around for a while, largely because my writing skills have seen a sharp decline since forgoing creative education in favor of heavy science, and that's not something I'd like to have continue. I can certainly describe various receptors and drug systems in more detail than anyone could ever want to know, but that's not exactly useful when trying to connect with anyone who hasn't spent four years pouring over pharmacology textbooks.

I play more than just the accordion - clarinet, piano, violin, and guitar, among others. I'm currently teaching myself the accordion, which is easier said than done. At this point, my skills are pretty limited to polka and bad imitations of Lawrence Welk, but my goal is to be able to play Yann Tiersen and do him justice. I read whatever I can get my hands on and fit around studying. My music tastes run from sea chanties and polkas (my family immigrated from Norway, it's in my blood) to opera and everything in between.

I love terrible jokes and pun competitions, video games and literature, bad movies, and general expressions of geekery. Finally being out of dorms means I have more than a shared oven with a building full of less-than-culinarily-adept engineers, so I'm teaching myself to bake. I knit and crochet, wear too much black, and have a final next Friday (pulmonary and renal, *hork*).

- SqueezeBox

No comments:

Post a Comment